Internship Terms and Conditions
Hop The Pond, LLC 3435 N Sheffield Avenue, Chicago, IL 60657, and you, the applicant, hereby agree as follows:
Application to Program.
- You hereby apply for acceptance into Hop The Pond's 2014/2015 Program ("Program"). You understand that the Program enables you to volunteer to perform paid work for an employer ("Employer"); pursuant to a separate arrangement between Hop The Pond and Sponsor, and that you will be paid a minimum of $8.25 per hour for such work by Employer, not by Hop The Pond.
Relationship of You, Hop The Pond, and Employer.
- When you are accepted into the Program, you are a paid (by Employer) volunteer for Hop The Pond, and the rights and obligations between you and Hop The Pond are expressly limited to the terms and conditions of this Agreement except for any further requirements made by Hop The Pond in connection with your participation in the Program. Employer is providing the opportunity for you to gain valuable experience as an intern working for them. Notwithstanding the foregoing, neither Employer nor Hop The Pond has any obligations to you under the Program except as specifically set forth herein, and you will be an employee or independent contractor of Employer, not of Hop The Pond, while in the Program.
Your Work Commitment.
- Once accepted, you agree to attend and participate in the Program for the entire length of the Program. You will work for Employer based on a schedule as requested by Employer and, if applicable, any visa requirements. You may not ask Employer for time off without Hop The Pond's prior written consent, and you may be released from your full work commitment under the Program only with Hop The Pond's prior written consent. In the event that you quit the Program or you are prevented from further participating by either Employer or Hop The Pond for any reason, you will not be entitled to any refunds. To accept an internship position with an Employer, you must agree to the terms herein.
Payment and Refund Policies.
- Your Initial Deposit ("Initial Deposit") is US$500. The Initial Deposit is for the sole purpose of reserving your position in the Program and covering certain related administrative expenses. Upon receiving your Initial Deposit, Hop The Pond agrees to place you in an internship by the "Placement Deadline," which is 14 days prior to the commencement date of the Program you selected ("Commencement Date"). If Hop The Pond is unable to place you in an internship within the industry selected by you by the Placement Deadline, despite your full cooperation in the placement process, at Hop The Pond’s sole discretion, you will be given the option (i) to drop out of the Program and receive a refund of your Initial Deposit and all other Program payments made by you, or (ii) to request that Hop The Pond continue the search process until you are placed; and if Hop The Pond is still unable to place you within the extended time, you will receive a Full Refund.
- If you withdraw from the Program for any reason after 45 days prior to the program start date, you will not receive a refund of any payment to Hop The Pond, and you shall remain liable for the balance of any program fees owed. If you withdraw from the Program for any reason at least 45 days prior to the program start date and before being allocated an internship within your selected industry, you will receive a refund of 50% of your program fee, not including the Initial Deposit, which shall be forfeited. Hop The Pond must receive all requests for refunds in writing with proof of receipt. Failure to notify us of your refund request of your withdrawal will result in your forfeiture of any refunds. All refunds are subject to this Section 4 without exception. Supplemental documentation may be required. In the event that your participation in a program is delayed due to obtaining a visa, late enrollment, or any other reason not entirely within Hop The Pond's control, you will not be entitled to a refund or reduction in the program fees. Except for any personal injury claims primarily caused by Hop The Pond, Hop The Pond is not liable to you for any claims at any time for any amount in excess of the fees you have paid to Hop The Pond.
- All payments must be paid by the due dates specified under the payment plan upon enrollment. If a payment is delinquent for 5 days or more, Hop The Pond will place an automatic hold on the participant's account until all payments are up to date and you may be barred from any further participation in the Program. Late Payments will incur an interest rate of 3% per calendar month, or any part thereof, (36% per annum) in addition to a US$100 late payment fee. A hold on an account can consist of (but is not limited to) a complete stop in the Placement Process. A hold status can only be removed from the account once payments are up to date.
- The remaining balance of the program fee must, unless an alternative schedule for payment is arranged with and approved by a member of Hop The Pond Staff in writing, be paid to us within 30 days of the deposit payment or six weeks before the proposed departure date of the Participant (whichever is sooner) or the placement can be cancelled at our discretion and no refund given unless by prior arrangement. If a payment is delinquent for 5 days or more, Hop The Pond will place an automatic hold on the participant’s account until all payments are up to date and the participant may be barred from any further participation in the Program. Late payment without prior consent from Hop The Pond will incur an interest rate of 3% per calendar month in addition to US$100 late payment fee.
- Any recipient of a Hop The Pond Scholarship Award is subject to these same payment terms, conditions, and policies, as Hop The Pond will reserve your position in the Program and will make certain financial commitments related to your participation in the Program. If you withdraw from the Program for any reason, other than Hop The Pond’s failure to place you by the Placement Deadline, you are obligated to pay Hop The Pond 50% of the scholarship value to cover the costs incurred. If you withdraw from the Program for any reason after you have been allocated an internship, you are obligated to pay 100% of the program fee including the value of the scholarship you have received.
- All information that is submitted on your application for consideration into the Program is interpreted as true and accurate. If it is discovered that information on your application is misleading or untrue, Hop The Pond will be entitled to 100% of your initial deposit payment and 100% of your program fee. In addition, you may be barred from further participation in the Program.
Program Prices. The prices* for Hop The Pond's 2014 Programs ("Program Price") are as follows (*Prices are set in USD and other currencies will be adjusted to that market price):
Chicago 1 month FULL Package – US$1,915, ~AU$1,920,~£1,334, ~€,1059
Chicago 1 Month Premium Internship Only – US$950, ~AU$1,000, ~£554 or ~€964
Chicago 2 Months FULL Package - US$3,865, ~AU$4,140, ~£2,280 or ~€2,854
Chicago 2 Months Premium Internship Only – US$1900, ~AU$1905, ~£1050, ~€1323
Chicago 3 Months FULL Package- US$5,675, ~AU$6,078, ~£3,347 or ~€4,190
Chicago 3 Month Premium Internship Only - US$2,850, ~AUS$2,858, ~£1,575, ~€1,985
- Visas. If you are required to obtain a Visa for the duration of the Program, you will be responsible for working with a third party agency for obtaining a visa. Hop The Pond will provide you with guidance on which visa to obtain, if one is needed for your Program. If you are required to obtain a visa, it is your complete responsibility to work with a third party agency, and pay all visa related expenses. If you do not obtain a visa, you elect not to participate in the Program, or you are terminated from the Program for any reason at any time, you agree that you are entirely responsible not seek any reimbursement for visa expenses from Hop The Pond. Failure to obtain a visa (and/or to obtain a visa before your program's commencement date) is not grounds for a refund of the Hop The Pond program fee. Hop The Pond is not liable for payment of (or reimbursement of) visa expenses. All visa-related matters and expenses are the responsibility of you and your visa provider. Regardless of the visa-providing agency you choose to work with, you will be responsible for all visa-related fees.
- You represent that you are over the age of 18 years. You are responsible to have all documentation that may be required, including without limitation any visa, birth certificate, passport, and valid driver's license or other picture identification.
- Hop The Pond will arrange housing accommodation for you if you select the FULL package. Hop The Pond will also arrange organized program events, and daily transportation to and from work by providing bus/metro/subway passes or organized transfers in vehicles arranged by the Program. Program events and seminar schedules listed on Hop The Pond's websites, below, or supplied by Hop The Pond are subject to change at any time. In the event Hop The Pond makes any modifications to the specific services or travel arrangements, you agree to such modifications and you will not be entitled to any refund or reduction of the Program Price.
Standards of Conduct.
- Hop The Pond reserves the right to establish and enforce reasonable rules and standards of conduct to facilitate the well-being and enjoyment of you and other Program participants. Failure to comply with such rules and standards may result in you being barred from participating in the Program without any further obligation on behalf of Hop The Pond to re-enroll you in any program. Hop The Pond may, at its discretion, have you removed from the Program, at your sole cost and expense, without subsequent refund to you or any portion of the Program Price except in accordance with Section 4. Once you are barred from further participation in the Program, you shall vacate any housing accommodation provided to you at such time as required by Hop The Pond. You hereby agree to release and indemnify Hop The Pond from all claims, demands, liabilities, obligations, damages, losses, costs (including attorney fees), and expenses (collectively, "Obligations") related in any manner to your actions or failure to act at any time during your Program participation or upon termination.
- You are expected to leave your housing facility in the same condition as when you arrived, and you are liable to Hop The Pond or any third parties for all damage done, and for the cost of any required repairs, to your room, any other rooms, and your housing facility building.
- Hop The Pond reserves the right to decline requests of a participant outside the scope of regular business practice. If necessary, Hop The Pond may, in its discretion, have you removed from the Program before or after the commencement of your program. In the event of such removal, you will no longer be considered a part of the Program. You hereby release Hop The Pond from all claims, demands, liabilities, obligations, damages, losses, costs (including attorney fees), and expenses (collectively, "Obligations") related in any manner to your said removal.
- Hop The Pond is not legally responsible or liable for the actions of program participants.
- You understand that sporting activities (including, without limitation, swimming, snorkeling, parasailing, bungee jumping, boating, rafting, diving, skating, hiking, camping, surfing, jet skiing, water skiing, and wave running), motor vehicle rentals, night clubs, ground or other tours offered by local vendors, and any other activity in which you may participate during the Program, involve risk and possible injury or death to you and others. Your participation in any activity is voluntary. You hereby release Hop The Pond from all Obligations related in any manner to your participation in any activities during the Program to the fullest extent permitted by law and provided Hop The Pond was not the primary cause of such injury or death or other Obligations.
- Hop The Pond hires companies not affiliated with Hop The Pond to transport Program participants to and from organized activities during the Program. You understand that accidents can occur while you are being transported by these companies, and you hereby release Hop The Pond from all Obligations for any injury to the person or property of you or any other person or entity related in any manner to any transportation provided by these companies to the fullest extent permitted by law and provided Hop The Pond was not the primary cause of such injury or death or other Obligations.
- If you choose to drive a motor vehicle or ride in a non-sponsored Program vehicle during the Program, whether for work or leisure, you do so at your own risk. The legal drinking age in the United States is 21 years old. Any of your activities, or choices you make, that involve drinking alcohol are not related to Hop The Pond and are therefore solely at your own risk. Abuse in consumption of alcohol may result in your termination from the Program at Hop The Pond’s sole discretion. Consumption of drugs may result in your termination from the Program in Hop The Pond’s sole discretion. To the fullest extent permitted by law and provided Hop The Pond is not the primary cause, you agree to release Hop The Pond from any claims or Obligations in connection with any third party services, accommodations, or facilities in connection with the Program, including without limitation any hotel, university, student housing provider, transportation company, and common carrier, and their respective agents and employees. In addition, Hop The Pond is not liable for any lost or stolen baggage or other personal property.
- During your participation in the Program, you will not be entitled to any health insurance or unemployment benefits through Employer. You therefore agree to release Hop The Pond and Employer from any claim for health care.
Health Care Release.
- You represent to Hop The Pond that you have disclosed all your significant physical and mental health needs or needs for prescription medication, which would require special attention or would limit your participation or performance in the Program. Official documentation may also be requested by Hop The Pond to verify medical status. Notwithstanding the foregoing, if you become ill or injured during the Program, you agree that Hop The Pond will have the right, but not the duty, to take reasonable action to secure emergency health care for you and any transportation related thereto. In such event, you agree to pay for any expense incurred for such health care, transportation, or other related services, and to reimburse Hop The Pond for any sums advanced or paid in connection therewith. All health care expenses incurred by you are your sole responsibility and you are advised to obtain your own health insurance.
- Hop The Pond often documents its programs by video, photographs, testimonials from participants, and other means (collectively, "Recorded Media"). You agree that Hop The Pond may use any means to record or otherwise memorialize your participation in the Program, and authorize Hop The Pond to utilize any Recorded Media of you including your image and any testimonials in Hop The Pond's promotional material, social media, and websites, or otherwise as Hop The Pond may elect, at any time in the future, without compensation to you or any further permission or consent from you.
Forces Beyond Control.
- If forces beyond Hop The Pond's reasonable control (e.g., blackouts, storms, road closures, health risk outbreaks, transportation strikes, international visa work permit delays, or acts of terrorism) cause the Program to be extended or delayed, you must pay all extra costs associated with such extension or delay (e.g., extra lodging, meals, fees to change scheduled flights, and other transportation costs), and must reimburse Hop The Pond for any such increased expenditures made on your behalf. Any refunds to which you may be entitled are entirely subject to Section 4 herein.
Governing Law; Jurisdiction.
- These terms and conditions and this agreement shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, US Federal law. Any dispute, controversy or claim arising out of or relating to these terms and conditions or this agreement, including the validity, invalidity, breach or termination thereof, shall be settled by arbitration. The number of arbitrators shall be one.
No Assignment; Binding Effect.
- You may not assign any of your rights or obligations under this Agreement without Hop The Pond's prior written consent. However, Hop The Pond may assign this Agreement in the event of a change of control without your written permission. Subject to such limitation, this Agreement shall inure to the benefit of and bind you and Hop The Pond, and its respective successors, assigns, and personal and legal representatives. Any release of liability of Hop The Pond under this Agreement shall extend to Hop The Pond's agents, staff, alumni, employees, officers, directors, and shareholders, and to all other persons and entities affiliated with Hop The Pond.
- If any portion of this Agreement is held by any court to be illegal, void, or otherwise unenforceable, the remainder of this Agreement will nevertheless continue unimpaired and in full force. In such event, the court or arbitrator shall be authorized, upon the motion of either of us, to modify this Agreement to the minimum extent required to render it valid and enforceable and to carry out our purposes and intent as set forth in this Agreement
- This Agreement constitutes the sole and entire agreement between you and Hop The Pond concerning this transaction. All written and oral agreements, representations, and understandings not expressly contained or referred to herein (including, without limitation, any terms and conditions contained in Hop The Pond's websites, and any promises or representations you believe were made to you by any agent or employee of Hop The Pond) are hereby superseded and have no further force or effect provided however, that you shall be bound by any additional request made by Hop The Pond in connection with your participation in the Program. No modification or amendment of this Agreement shall be binding unless executed in writing by both of us. No waiver of any provision of this Agreement shall be deemed or constitute a continuing waiver of that provision or a waiver of any other provision of this Agreement. Time is of the essence of this Agreement.
Have any questions?
Copy and paste this link into your browser to schedule a FREE Skype call with one of our Team Members to run through the details and to answer any of your questions. https://www.timetrade.com/book/X12NK